Happy Birthday Ryan!


Yesterday my son, Ryan, had a birthday. Ryan's been on this planet, a part of my world, for ten years now. And my life is so much better because he is here. With his kindness, intuition and frequent reminders to unplug and relax, Ryan reminds that life is good. That time spent with family and friends is far more important than time spent checking Facebook on my iPhone. That life is about people, positive connections, reading books and talking about dreams way more than it's about things.

I fail at unplugging, at living in the moment, on a daily basis. I get stressed easily. I try to check email during dinner. I am easily distracted and discouraged. But I'm making progress. And a lot of my progress in this department is because of a little guy who is not so little anymore - My son. Ryan.




One one hand he's a boy so grown up that he takes my phone out of my hands and covers me up with a quilt and tells me to take a nap. And on the other hand he's still little enough that he crawls into bed with me in the morning to snuggle and, miraculously, fits next to my body as perfectly as when he was a baby.
How is it that one person - a ten-year-old - can be so old and wise and young and innocent at the same time? 
I don't know. I just know this...Ryan, Ry-Guy, Little Bud, Boo, I'm a better person because of you. 
Thanks!
Love, Mom.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Change in Plans

Dates with a Biker

A Little Bike Schooling on the B Ride