Moving Forward

Wowza! This round of 30 Days of Biking has been a tough one. Here in Minnesota we've had crazy weather instead of a normal spring. A half hour ago when I was sneaking in a ride for Day 17 it was raining. Right now it's sleeting. I've heard another 6 inches or so of snow is on the way.

I'm wondering how people are fairing who are doing 30 Days of Biking for their very first time. I'm guessing some people are frustrated with the weather, not to mention frustrated with the challenge of riding every single day for 30 days, and maybe want to quit.

I've been there. Oh believe me, I've been there. This round of 30 Days of Biking is my 7th. I've been doing this challenge since the very first one in April of 2010. I'm no athlete or super biker. I'm a middle-aged mom of two. Finding time and energy to ride my bike every day for 30 Days of Biking is a struggle. It feels impossible sometimes. And this round, with the crazy weather we've been having, has been extraordinarily tough. But I keep riding away because along the way I learned something that may come in handy for others who are struggling and may want to quit.

I've learned that thinking about riding every day, especially thinking about riding in the cold/rain/snow/sleet, is my worst enemy. I start to psych myself out when I starting thinking about having to get out to ride when it's yucky, about having to put on my biking gear, about breaking away from the stuff going on at home or work to get out for even a quick ride.

Sometimes I get as far as opening the garage door and am about to push my bike out into the rain but I still want to quit. Suddenly I have work to do. A book to read. Chocolate to eat. Laundry to fold. Anything sounds better than riding my bike in the rain! And I almost push my bike back inside.

But I don't. And this is why - I've discovered that the moment I swing my leg over my bike and start moving forward I'm home free. It's at that moment, the moment I move forward, that I realize I have completed my day of 30 Days of Biking. There's no distance minimum to the challenge so I could decide to quit biking right then and there. But I never do. Once I'm all kitted up and moving forward it just seems silly to stop, so I keep on biking. And it feels so good!

Tonight, for instance, I decided to just bike up my block and back and call it a night. But he moment I moved forward I didn't just feel a great accomplishment for completing Day 17, I felt the day's troubles melt away as I rode my bike. And, instead of stopping after riding my self-imposed minimum quarter mile, I just kept riding. In the rain. Up and down my block. Two times. Three. Then four. About a mile.

So if you're doing the 30 Days of Biking challenge for the first time or you've done it before - just do your best to keep on going. Get your gear on, swing your let over your bike, and start moving forward! You're already over halfway there!

Wet weather? I don't have rain gear but my winter parka works well enough at keeping me dryish. My rear fender is a great help, too.

Comments

Unknown said…
You are an inspiration! We need to push through whatever struggles we have despite the obstacles life puts in our way. So proud of you!
Your 7th time? I'm so impressed, in Minnesota no less. I wouldn't get out n cold wet. I absolutely hate being wet and cold.

Popular posts from this blog

A Change in Plans

Dates with a Biker

A Little Bike Schooling on the B Ride