Another 30 Days - on my own this time

The last three years, the month of September has brought a bonus round of 30 Days of Biking to all who want to participate and ride their bikes every day.

This year, I didn't hear anything about the bonus round in the days leading up to September so I messaged 30 Days co-founder, Patrick, to ask him if it was happening this year. He replied saying there was no official September round this year but I was welcome to do it on my own.

So I did.

I got out on my bike every day except for two - I was sick in bed one day and totally forgot the other. But, other than those two days, I was out riding. I took part in a couple of organized rides with my family, the Jesse James Bike Tour and the Saint Paul Classic. Other than those rides, I mostly rode my fatbike around the neighborhood

I usually keep track of my rides and make big milage goals for 30 Days of Biking. I didn't do that this time around. In fact, I hardly tracked my rides at all.

Instead of thinking about distances and calories burned and all that, this time, I just got out on my bike and had some fun.


Here's sort of a recap of what happened during this 30 Days of Biking

  • Lots of the time the kids rode with me
  • We often practiced making our bikes move forward by swinging our legs instead of pedaling (this is fun)
  • Many of my rides were in the dark with my bike light on
  • Some of my riding was on our grass taxiway
  • Most rides were really, really slow
  • Almost all of my rides were on my fatbike, Bear.
  • I think (can't remember for sure) I had good weather for each ride
  • I used my bike instead of the car to get around the neighborhood several times
  • I enjoyed every single ride

During official rounds of 30 Days of Biking, we share our progress through social media. Typically I "tweet" my rides and see that others are riding, too. There's a sense of community in knowing I am riding along with the "community of joyful cyclists" during my 30 Days. I kind of missed that sense of community this time.

But, perhaps because of the lack of community, or maybe just because, this 30 Days, more than any other, I learned that cruising around on my bike for no particular reason is one of the best things about bicycling. My daily rides became a time to just slow down, unwind and forget about work, chores, meetings, problems, bills, homework supervision, house cleaning and whattomakefordinner.

So I'm glad I ventured out on my own this time and did another (28)30 Days of Biking.

I'm looking forward to riding later on today when the kids get home from school. Those after school rides with the kids are the best part of my day!

Ryan riding ahead of my on the trails at Murphy Hanrehan

Rose and Owen riding the beginner mountain bike track at Murphy Hanrehan Park













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Change in Plans

A Little Bike Schooling on the B Ride

One of the Best Bike Rides. Ever.