A New Space

We've been doing a lot around our house lately. We replaced a terribly worn out carpet in our living room. We had our friend, Michael, do some painting for us upstairs because, well, if we had to do it all the painting would not get done in a timely manner (case in point, the upstairs hallway Michael painted for us in a day was a project that I intended to start, oh, seven years ago and never got around to). With all the painting, we've been sorting and cleaning and donating things that we no longer use. It's a good feeling to get things out of here - but it's also kind of disruptive and unsettling.

We've reorganized three rooms and our upstairs hallway in the last month. Well, I can't say that we're totally reorganized quite yet, but we're getting there!

Rose's room was first. Her once pink and purple walls with floral border are now a lovely turquoise. She moved out her little girl looking things and now has a room that looks like a high school student sleeps in it instead of a grade schooler.

Ryan had been sleeping in a small bedroom that was his nursery when he was a baby. The room was cute with yellow walls and a blue sky with stars border - but hardly fitting for our 11 year old who likes reptiles and bugs. We also wanted to move Ryan into a bigger bed and wanted to get rid of some things he no longer used. So, we loaded up Ryan's bed and brought it over to my brother's house. My nephew, Liam, now has a bunk bed and toy storage unit and is one happy four-year-old!

As for Ryan's room with the yellow walls - we painted the walls the same color as my office. And my office? We painted those walls a nice shade of blue that Ryan liked. And, yep, we switched rooms.

My former office is now Ryan's bedroom.
And Ryan's old room? It's now my new office.

I am a bit out of sorts sitting here in my new office. It's mostly empty. It feels weird in here. There's no pictures on the walls. No books on the shelves. I figured out where I want my desk (in a corner, at an angle, facing the door) but am not sure if I like my bookshelf where it is. I need to move one of my file cabinets into my closet but am not sure where the other one will fit. I still have tons of sorting to do to make sure I don't move clutter in to my new space. I think what that means is a lot of my office stuff is going to sit in the hallway for awhile so I can move things in a bit at a time.

I'm not super duper good at big transitions. I liked my old office. It was cluttered but comfortable. Now I have a new space and don't quite know what to do with it. I am not sure where to put things. I'm worried the sun will fade my books. I worried I won't be able to see my computer screen when the sun shines through the window. And yet I'm worried there won't be enough light when the sun goes down.  And, well, I could go. Suffice it to say, I can worry pretty well sometimes :-)

So, I remind myself, I will figure out where things go and how they will work in time. Worry isn't going to help me figure anything out or stop the sun from doing what the sun does.

Maybe it's the lack of control over the sun and everything else that got me to the point I'm at right now - I'm sitting in my office at my desk and I'm organizing something much more manageable than an empty office space and the thoughts in my too-full-of-thoughts head -- words.

I'm writing.

And it feels good.

Almost empty new office space. Much to do to figure out my new space but the important things are here -  my desk and my dog.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Change in Plans

A Little Bike Schooling on the B Ride

Dates with a Biker