I plan to finish fusing the flowers onto the background on Tuesday because I have an appointment to get the quilt to Anne Tuma of Down Under Quilting on Wednesday morning. Once I drop it off to Anne, she will quilt the flowers to the background with her wonderful long arm quilting machine.
In my Field of Flowers on a Cold Day post, I was pretty much just in the thinking stage of this project. I had a pile of fabric and a bunch of flower petals to trace on fusible backing and an idea of what I wanted the finished project to look like.
|This is what I started with - fabrics and petals to trace on fusible webbing|
After I moved beyond the thinking stage, I traced the petals onto fusible, ironed them to various fabrics then cut them out so that I had a pile of petals and circles with which to create flowers.
Then I started the process of laying out the petals on my background. This takes some time but it's fun to play around with color combinations as I create the flowers.
At that stage, I took a few digital pictures so I could remember the way I arranged the petals on the background. I refer back to the picture many times when I get to the actual fusing stage at my ironing board.
|Playing around with flower petals to create flowers. |
At this point, the flowers are not fused onto the background
As you can see in the pictures below, I ended up changing one of my flowers quite a bit from the design stage to the finished stage.
|The first three flowers are fused to the background.|
I still need to add to the centers of the two big flowers
and, of course, the rest of the flowers.
|Here's a close up of one of the flowers. |
I got kind of elaborate with this one!